for those of you wondering at home, i have indeed started my new job. and those of you who used to work with me will not be surprised (nor will anyone else, really) to learn that i have already somehow managed to convince everyone here that i'm a first-class weirdo. aside from the fact that eleven months of working from my gloomy cavern of a room with sammy as my only sensible company has rendered me completely socially incompetent, i was also asked to describe myself. that is no good. my sweet orientation leader just wanted me to send her an email about myself, where i went to school, where i used to work, and my hobbies. i sent her this (she sent out a slightly nicer version to the whole company by way of introduction):
- 24 years old
- graduated from uva, 2000, b.s., mechanical engineering
- used to work at firstunion.com (now wachovia)
- likes to eat, read, and sleep
- has been spending way too much spare time lately working on feel-good non-profit websites to absolve herself of sins associated with selling out to the corporate/yuppy world
- has never had to "dress-up" for a job before, and will surely be a constant source of amusement as her complete lack of fashion sense shines through (colleagues at her last job forcibly retired her fadedblacktshirtandjeans-look)
- shalini has no hobbies. when she develops one, you WILL hear about it.
what can i say? it was early in the morning. and i think i'm so desperate to have an old-fashioned water-cooler conversation that i'm coming off as strange and pathetic. i'm trying too hard. but, i guess that's better that falling asleep in my cubicle.
also, i think i've done something to that spot between my right eye and nose. it's very sore. if i broke my nose again, it'll be a wonderful opportunity for me to create another photo essay tracking the healing process. yay.